- Introduction to Operations Management: understanding that most of the things you can see around you has been processed by an operation. The central role of operations in creating competitive advantage.
- The strategic implications of operations: the key dimensions of operations and the top–down, bottom-up, resource and market requirements perspectives.
- Process, product, and supply network design issues: make-or-buy, flow vs. batch and location decisions.
- The nature of capacity planning and control: deciding what to do, where to do it, and what are the input needed. Monitor ongoing activities.
- Inventory management: compensate for differences in timing between supply and demand of resources.
- Supply chain management: provide the conceptual and operational tools to design and manage the vertical supplier relations
- Lean production & Just in Time: an introduction to the lean philosophy of operations.
- Team Work: PEAS case study
Providing a 360° view on operations management, the course aims to provide the conceptual tools related to the design, planning, control and improvement of operations, including capacity planning and control, inventory and supply chain management, and lean production of both manufacturing and service operations.
Course assignments and student evaluation
Grades in this course will be based on:
- Final Exam 60%
- In-class performance 10%
- Misc. Assignments 30%
The final exam will consist on a multiple-choice test. It has by far the most relevant impact factor on the final result.
In order to keep the evaluation process as objective as possible, the impact of professor’s evaluation on the final result is limited. Nevertheless, the small number of students fosters interaction, and this could enrich the judgment process beyond sheer test result.
One teamwork will be assigned during the course. This assignment is to be done in teams of three (3) or four (4) students and submitted via email to the professors.
Department of Economics and Management
via U. Bassi 1 (4th floor), 35131 Padova
Opening hours: Tuesday-Friday, 9:00-14:00
phone: +39 049 8271229